Page 1 of 1

NC16 underway !

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:29 pm
by JollyLolly
Since joining friends on a day cruise along a river in South Africa about 10 years back, it has been my ambition to own a canoe. We moved to Canada 2 1/2 years ago, and with many waterways almost within walking distance, this yearning has just got stronger. About a year back I purchased the plans for the NC16, and finally got down to work yesterday April 17, 2005.

With the ply purchased and marked, the project is underway. I have been lurking on this site for some time now, and am encouraged by all the positive postings and support.

I guess going public, will keep me enthused. We are a family of four, so it won't end with just the one canoe, I'll need to build a small fleet.

I am a total green horn when it comes to boats, leave alone building them, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to the help, new friends and launch date ...

Album Started

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:07 am
by JollyLolly
Managed to get all the panels cut this evening. I have done a fair bit of woodwork, so am familiar with measure and mark and cut and sand etc.... but now I'm headed for unchartered waters. viz EPOXY !

I'll be "butt-blocking" in the next couple of days, so wish me luck. Any last minute advise will be appreciated.

Meantime, I have started my "Picture journal" of the process at

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... 3653[url]*

As for boatbuilding... I think I'm gonna like it here !

[/url]

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:22 am
by Mike Adams
Welcome to the forum, Laurence! And top marks for immediately starting a picture gallery so we can follow your progress!
Advice on butt blocks? They are easy - just make sure you maintain a good epoxy glue layer under the blocks. You need to apply pressure with a moderate weight of some kind, but don't apply too much - you don't want to squeeze all the epoxy glue out! Then leave the glued up pieces undisturbed for a couple of days to allow the glue to thoroughly cure. Here's an example from my FL14 thread:
Good luck!!

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:19 am
by Dane_Ger
Congrats on starting your first boat! Everthing in your pictures look fine!

Good Luck and keep us up to date!

My Butts are Blocked

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:35 am
by JollyLolly
Thanks, Mike and Dane, for the words of encouragement and advise. I blocked my butts (can I say that?) last night. You're right Mike, nothing to it. Just take your time, don't rush, and check yourself constantly.

I've never seen anyone building a boat before, so can't say if I'm doing things right or wrong, but if I were to find fault, I have made one 'small' blunder so far. I intend leaving the inside clear (is this what is referred to as "bright work"?), but forgot to sand off the pencil markings. So, I guess I'm going to have to sand through the epoxy to get the pencil lines off. Luckily I realised this before going too far, just a little around the bottom panel butt-block.

While on the subject, is it a good idea to sand before epoxying, or better to leave the wood as is, to allow the epoxy better purchase, and sand and fair later?

Pics will be posted later today.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:30 pm
by Dane_Ger
I've been lightly sanding before applying the epoxy in places where appearance will count. Also, I used a big eraser to remove the pencil lines in places where I hadn't already coated them with epoxy . . . for me it was easier than sanding them out.

Most of us hadn't built a boat either when we started, so it is just a matter of not rushing, measuring and checking often, following the plans, and asking for ideas/suggestions here when something just doesn't feel right!?

Good luck and keep at it!

New pics posted

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:16 pm
by JollyLolly
I've added a few more pictures to my photo journal. In order not to repeat my entries, read this thread in conjunction with the notes associated with each picture.

The start picture of the new batch is at.

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... =284&pos=7

It looks like a boat !!!

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:27 am
by JollyLolly
Now I understand all those posts where people exclaim that their pile of wood "Now looks like a boat". I've been at it for a little over 8 1/2 hours (actual working time), and at last "It looks like a boat".

Did the taping tonight, so tomorrow I'll be filleting (instead of taping as I mentioned in an earlier post). Just couldn't wait, now could I?

See my updated photo journal at

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 284&pos=10

Thanks for looking.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:17 am
by Mike Adams
Looking good, Laurence! You are making fast progress. It's great to see it all start to take shape, isn't it? Keep the pics coming and keep building!

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:36 am
by JollyLolly
When it comes to the question of whether to keep the forum, and picture gallery updated, or building a boat... I've decided Building a Boat takes preference !!! :D

Bottom line is, I have a boat, and am sanding, sanding and oh, did I mention sanding. The construction of my NC16 is complete but for the breast hooks. I'm leaving those until the sanding in the bow corners is done.
I do have pictures of each step along the way, and will post them soon enough, but getting on the water is my prime objective. I hope you all understand.

More pics added to gallery

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:40 pm
by JollyLolly
I have uploaded my next batch of pictures.

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 284&pos=22

Thanks for looking.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:22 pm
by Mike Adams
Hi Laurence,

Just checking through the forum before starting the household chores that my wife usually does! Thanks for your words of encouragement on my thread - your prayers are very, very welcome.

Your boat is looking good! I also had trouble using the plastic bag method for fillets, and like you I found it easier to get neat fillets using a specially shaped plastic spoon (actually I used a cut-down kitchen spatula).

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress!

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:37 am
by JollyLolly
Did some major catching up with the photo gallery.

Please take a look at the latest pics starting from;

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 284&pos=34

Thanks for Looking

Travel Offer

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:01 pm
by JollyLolly
SPECIAL TRAVEL OFFER

In South Africa there is an area in Kwazulu Natal known as the 'Valley of a Thousand Hills"... in North America, there is the famous 'Niagra' waterfall, ...

Do you have a hankering to travel :?: :?: :?:

SAVE YOUR MONEY !!!

Just take a look at my boat, and you'll see the same views. Doesn't get any better than this.

I'm sure this question has been answered a zillion times, but how do I prevent this? Epoxy is too expensive to end up a powder on my garage floor. I'd rather have it on my boat, and be on the water.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:30 pm
by MadRus
Laurance,

First of all, it's looking great! Second, I just read this entire thread and I wanted to caution you, if you're going to leave the inside brightwork, to cover it with a UV resistant finish of some kind- a clear poly with UV inhibitors or something. UV will break down epoxy over time.

A good way to avoid the drips is to use a squeegy which you can buy from Jacques at boatbuidlerscentral to apply the epoxy- you can also probably find them locally at an autoparts store- they're used in autobody. It's just a plastic spatula that's made to spread bondo. It really helps extend the epoxy coverage and give a nice smooth finish. That said, it's tougher on the sides than on the bottom, it always is- gravity you know. Just remember, as with painting, it's better to go thin, thin, thin and do several coats, than it is to do one thick one.

-Dave

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:24 pm
by JollyLolly
Found this link, sounds like a good idea to me... I have tried a few, and they work...
PS. I know the guy selling these, so if anyone is interested, I can get them at a good price. Just send $$$ in unmarked envelopes to my address, and I'll arrange the rest.

I tried this so SWMBO wouldn't have to see me arriving home with more sandpaper than anything else 'boatbuilding', and it realy does work ...

Dave,
Thanks for the encouragement and advise. Yes, I know about UV protection. Will most Yacht Spar Varnishes do the job, or is there a particular 'epoxy' coating I should use?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:37 pm
by MadRus
I would think SPAR varnishes have caught up with the times, but when in doubt...

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:05 pm
by JollyLolly
Haven't been very efficient in posting updates, but this weekend got to do some sanding and spread the fairing mix. After sanding the Niagra falls down to a reasonable level, I was left with a bunch of bright 'holes' which I sanded by hand to give the fairing compound something to grip to. The using leftovers from my trial kit, I mixed up some micro balloons and plastic fibres into some epoxy and filled the holes as best I could.

Unfortunately, I ran out of microblloons before I was finished, so had to settle for some West fairing additive 410 (I think) (that's all I could find on a Saturday afternoon). Haven't sanded yet, so can't say which worked better, if any. Then another coat of epoxy and over she'll go to complete the inside, which I'm leaving clear.

The committee is still deciding on the color, so I'll leave that until the inside is complete. That'll give the epoxy a few more days of cure time before I paint.

Dave, seems some have, and some haven't. The boat supply shop I went to on Saturday pointed out that some Spar varnishes are good for epoxy and others not. I only hope the one they recommended IS!

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:14 pm
by pirate
take a look at this thread for some related information...
http://forums.bateau2.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7301

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:48 pm
by JollyLolly
Thanks Pirate,

I've taken a look at the link...

Sounds like Rick applied the varnish to the raw wood. My question is what varnish to apply over epoxy (which I've already got on my rubrails). The thread does not make this clear, to me anyway. All I need is the UV protection for the epoxy.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:43 pm
by Lon

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:17 am
by pirate
jolly,
in the link, piercey suggests the best varnish to apply to epoxy is S3. i'm not sure what the reasons are - maybe he can shed some light - sounds like there was a bad experience involved with some other kind of varnish...

good luck!

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:14 pm
by JollyLolly
SHE HAS A NAME

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, my desire to own a canoe stems from a canoe trip along a river in South Africa. That river is the Knysna river in the Eastern Cape. The area is known as "The Garden Route", and not without just cause.

Endemic to this area is a bird, the Knysna Turaco (Tauraco corythaix). The more common name is the Knysna Loerie (Nigh-s-na Lure-ee).

The "Committee" has agreed to call the NC16... Knysna Loerie.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:35 pm
by Dane_Ger
Cool! Nice story behind the naming of your boat! :D

Latest Pictures.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:16 pm
by JollyLolly
Finished sanding the fairing the outside. I want to get this baby on the water...
I feel with all the beginner mistakes so far, to go for the Bristol finish would be a little much, but I'm relatively happy with what she looks like to date. I have certainly learned so much, I know I have a loooooong way to go on the learning curve, but I know where I made some mistakes which need to be avoided next time.

I'll put another coat of epoxy on tonight, then see if she looks ready enough for the paint. If so, it'll be sand and more epoxy inside... varnish and, voila!

Mental note to self... You've still got to add the breasthooks and make some paddles :roll:

See the latest pictures at
http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 2504&pos=0

Thanks for looking

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:48 pm
by Dane_Ger
Looks good . . . you are making lots of quick progress too!

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:53 pm
by JollyLolly
I've missed a few steps in my posting, so need to get my gallery and thread updated. Meantime, here's a quick pick of "Knysna Loerie" as she is today.
First coat of color is on, with 3 or 4 to go. Inside needs another coat of epoxy, then as many coats of varnish as neccessary.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:55 am
by Lon
"First coat of color is on, with 3 or 4 to go."
Golly gee, why? You can already see yourself in it 'nuff to pick slivers 'outa your backside.
Heckofajob.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:42 am
by Dane_Ger
Very Nice Work! :D

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:54 am
by Cracker Larry
Beautiful :!:

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:46 pm
by HokieBoatbuilder
Dang, that's a nice canoe!

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:40 am
by JollyLolly
Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement. She is really starting to look like 'summer is taking too long to get here'.... I want to get on the water........
Posted some more pics starting at
http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 284&pos=55
Thanks for looking

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:29 am
by Doug
Gota be a Longhorn to love that color :wink:
Hook'em

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:49 am
by JollyLolly
Doug, You'll have to explain that comment, but that's why I built I built a canoe.....
1. Less expensive so I could make all my beginner mistakes here
2. Hardly a planing boat, so I didn't have to worry too much about hull strength (although I have every confidence in the designers, promise! It was my building skills I doubted.), and (for you Doug)...
3. No convention regarding color... anything goes, it doesn't have to be blue and/or white (with apologies to those with blue and/or white boats, sorry, no offence, just kidding.)

She's been wet, but not splashed yet.
Last night I did some wet sanding with 400, and applied the final coat. I took Evans advise, and with the "roll and tip" method, used 220 grit between 1st, 2nd and 3rd coats, then 400 wet between 3 and 4. Looks good Evan, thanks. I've run out of paint, so while I could use another coat or 2 (inexperience talking), I'm happy that she looks good enough for my first timer.

I'm a little pressed for time as she has to be splashed next weekend, June 4/5. June 7, my eldest daughter is leaving to go to UK for the summer to be with her fiance, and wants to see the Knysna Loerie in the water before she goes. This weekend is my little girl's "Grad Ball", so Saturday will be busy with all the hair and nails and last minute shopping and everything else grad.

I will attempt to squeeze in some clear varnish coats on the inside though.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:13 pm
by Greyfire
Laurence,

Be sure to post some pictures of her underway! And tell us what you think of how she handles too. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

-=- Greyfire

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:39 pm
by Laszlo
The boat floats just fine wearing only epoxy, no varnish needed if you're tight for time. I've had my CC14 wearing nothing but epoxy for 3 years now (though I do sand it and apply a new coat every year or so).

Good luck to all there,

Laszlo

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:17 pm
by nort
The Longhorn is the University of Texas mascot. One of their school colors is an orange similar to the color you painted your canoe. The battle cry for their teams is hook 'em horns. I suffered through this for many years as UT managed to beat Arkansas about every year at football. Arkansas moved to the Southeast Conference and still get beat every year by a team with the initials UT and the color orange. Oh, well, we still have the most obnoxious cheer, sooie pig.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:50 pm
by JollyLolly
Thanks Nort,
I hope to drop a line or two from the Knysna Loerie, and if there's a fish called a horn, I'll "hook 'em horns" for sure. :lol: "Sooie pig" how on earth do I have to pronounce that ???

She's as good as ready for the big day this coming weekend. Just finishing the paddles and seating arrangement.

Here's a pic of her getting the last wet sand before her final coat.

Now THIS is a view I hope the AirSea Rescue chopper never have of her :!:

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:40 pm
by tech_support
nort wrote: Oh, well, we still have the most obnoxious cheer, sooie pig.
Yes, you do....... Go Dawgs, sic em

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:03 pm
by BilltheCat
A Poster version of the Nice Canoe --- sweet.

Now - nothing is more obnoxious than having to listen to "Rocky Top" more than once in a ballgame .... not that's not right, it's the second most obnoxious thing - the first IS a Tennessee Fan!! :lol:

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:44 pm
by nort
Bill, I second your second comment! :lol:

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:05 am
by Greyfire
JollyLolly wrote:I'm a little pressed for time as she has to be splashed next weekend, June 4/5.
Laurence, so how did it go? I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about how easy she is to row and how stable she is. I'm thinking about building the NC16 next to replace my kayaks that I don't use, and I'm interested in your opinion.

-=- Greyfire

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:33 am
by CMSgt
JollyLolly,
Got to admit, I do like that color. Any thoughts on interior color?

Shine/Nort,
I don't want to turn this into an SEC forum, but when "Go Dawgs, sic em" came up, I just had to chime in. Taking daughter back to UGA tomorrow. Nice drive through AR, TN, MS. Just wish we could eliminate Bama from the trip. Didn't qualify for AR school as she still has all her teeth.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:02 pm
by JollyLolly
TODAY'S THE DAY

Started April 17, and today, 49 days later, we're off to the big dam to splash !!! Whoopeeeee!

I still have a couple things need doing, but can't wait any longer. My daughter's off to England for 6 weeks on Tuesday, so we gotta duit today :D

Paddles still need a whole bunch of sanding and varnishing, but hopefully they're functional. So, enough rambling...... allow me to formally present...

'Knysna Loerie'

CMSgt, decided up front I wanted the inside clear. Went for the orange to be as visible as possible to other boaters.

Greyfire, will only be going down to the water about 2:30 PST, but will be sure to report back. Weather looks a bit suspect, I don't want to go in the rain in case she gets wet... [-X can't have that, now can we? :lol:

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:26 pm
by JollyLolly
More pics posted.
http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 284&pos=69

Thanks for looking.

SPLASH DAY !!! Yippeeee!

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:32 pm
by JollyLolly
Hi all,
June 04 saw the dawning of the official splash day. Weather looked a bit 'iffy' to start with, but ended up being just great. Only got to the water aroung 4.30 pm, but still allowed enough time for the first outing.
First off some Kudos:
Bateau, for the design, and hosting the forum which was a constant source of encouragement and inspiration.
All those boatbuilders who contribute, thank you for your advise, pictures and words of encouragement.
Short of missing a few, I would like to mention, Jacques, Mike Adams, Dane Ger, Laszlo, Nort, Rick, Charlie, Greyfire, DougN, Evan and any others who directly responded to questions, or gave personal encouragement (with appologies to anyone I may have left out).
THANK YOU !!!

LAUNCH DAY
In hind sight, we could have chosen a better spot to put in. Where we were, there was a lot of wind, tidal current and speed boat activity. This did allow for us to put our little vessel to the test, but as newbies, would have prefered a little calmer waters.

As to the performance of the NC16... I do not know enough about canoes and boat design to pass too much comment here, suffice to say, "she's great". As mentioned, the water conditions were a bit rough, so I felt the wind and currents pushed her around a bit, so maybe a 'keel' (if that's the right term) running down the centre would have helped, but more about that after we've done some river cruising.

I have posted some pics of the big day

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 284&pos=72

The official naming... 'Knysna Loerie'

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:06 pm
by Laszlo
Way to go Laurence!

How many times did you have to tell the "homemade boat" story?

Laszlo

NC 16

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:15 pm
by cottontop
8) Great looking boat!!!!!!!!! Love the propulsion unit(HA HA) Cottontop

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:19 pm
by nort
Way to go. I remember when we launched Lilith last year. It was really fun. Eve is still sitting on the front porch waiting for me to get back to work.

Those buckets also make good waterproof containers, crab buckets, 'mater pots and and whatever else your imagination can come up with. Having combined my wife's two and my two and then inheriting her mother's two, we go through lots of cat litter and had to come up with something to do with the buckets rather than throw them away.

Don't feel bad about your first scratch. The first time I floated Lilith, before I finished painting her, I dropped her out of the back of my pickup at about 30 mph. These canoes are tough. A little epoxy and a little paint and she was good as new.

Good job and now go out and enjoy your labors.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:43 pm
by Greyfire
Congratulations, Laurence! It looks like you and your family really enjoyed your first outing. To me that's the most important part. I'd like my little boat to look good, but as long as she floats, and my wife and I have fun in her, I'll have succeeded. Looks to me like you did real well. Knysna Loerie looks like she handled the water just fine. You've really built yourself a nice little canoe. And you beat me to the water by a good month or two. :wink:

Did you find you had any problem handling her by yourself? Can you think of anything you'd have done differently now that you've been paddling? Compared to building her yourself, repairing anything that happens to her should be easy.

Now be sure to let us know when you go on your first day cruise. :)

-=- Greyfire

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:50 pm
by Mike Adams
Laurence - what a great job you have made of your boat! Congratulations! =D> You will have yourself a ton of fun in 'Knysna Loerie'. She looks beautiful in the water.

So, now you know how to do it, what is your next boat going to be....? :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:28 am
by Greyfire
JollyLolly wrote:First coat of color is on, with 3 or 4 to go. Inside needs another coat of epoxy, then as many coats of varnish as neccessary.
Laurence, you ended up with a nice looking canoe. May I ask type of primer and paint you used? You ended up with a nice finish and I've been reading as much as I could in order to get ready for painting my FL11.

-=- Steve

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:35 pm
by TimF
Laurence,

Looks great, have enjoyed reading about your progress. Is the launch site Cates Park ?

TimF

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:05 pm
by JollyLolly
Steve,
The truth is, I didn't use a primer... figured this was my learning curve, and I had had enough of sanding, and the supplier I got the paint from said it did not need priming... I took his word for it.
Image Image
This is the paint I used.

Yes, Tim, it is Cates Park. Seeing you're from Vancouver as well, you'll know why Knysna Loerie hasn't been wet since... :cry: . Next time though, I think I'm going further around to Deep Cove. Too many "noisy" boats at Cates Park :!: