Another Corsair 13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
richwink
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by richwink »

SPLASH!!

Hi All

Well I got my boat in the water last week. It isn't pretty or done but it works!

Anyway I drove to Lac La Biche with it on my trailer

We set up the boat on the beach in a little cove behind a point. The wind was coming off the beach. Christened the boat and was about to push it in when my uncle and aunt surprised me with a captains hat... Anyway after that was done into the water it went.

We sailed off the shore and once past the point were able to make good speed on all points of sail. There was a storm coming across the lake so we decided to head back to the beach but when we came behind the point our wind died and we were unable to make the last 50 feet to the beach under sail against the wind. Once we were behind the point the jib would push our bow around and the best we could do was sail 90 degrees to the wind with the rudder all the way over.

You can see the wind die on the picture below... the water in behind the beach is calm but the water outside of the point has ripples on it.

We would end up trying for another pass...

Then the storm blew in and got really wet and cold... but the boat performed excellent. The gusts caused us to heel over and we had to lean out to counter act it. We able to make the beach with ease once the wind came up. If we had been wearing rain suits we would have stayed out in the water.

I took my wife out a few days later once the weather was beautiful but the wind relatively weak and died once we were 0.5 miles off the whore. So we paddled in. The boat moved with ease under paddle and we made it back in no time.

This is me:

And my wife:

Two days ago there was a lot of wind and we tried to launch the boat into the wind but were unable to get far enough from shore to get the daggerboard down, the sails up and ourselves in the boat before we were grounding again... need a little motor.

I still plan on quickfairing the cockpit, painting the interior and putting the second coat on the exterior. I also am going to add a rope rail to lean against in the cockpit to allow for more comfort and will also use a bit of foam to sit on. Functionally the boat works now I want to get some creature comforts, egronomic and visual issues/improvements added. I also have to drill a bunch of holes to allow drainage from under the seats and from one frame section to another.

This has been a really rewarding experience and I want to thank all of you for your help and Jacques putting together a complete package (which includes this forum).

I am already eyeing the VG- series... I think I caught the bug. :lol:
Last edited by richwink on Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Winkel
<><
CR 13

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

Wonderful job on the boat. I may have to try one of them wind powered boats. That looks very enjoyable.

Congratulations!

Dan

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

What a nice looking boat. You're going to have a blast.

(Am I the only one who thinks Richard and his wife look really young? Sigh.)

By the way, my first date with my wife was on a Venture 21. You are supposed to take prospective spouses sailing BEFORE getting married -- just to be sure.
Last edited by Rick on Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonG
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BrandonG »

Looks great! I know how you must feel. I can hardly wait to get my CR11 into the water. I will probably haul it out to the lake in a couple of weeks just to see how it looks on the water. Then of course spend another 30-40 hours painting it :-)

richwink
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by richwink »

Hi

Thanks for the replies...

BrandonG: You will be in the same "boat" :lol: as me if you get into the water before it is done. Actually now I would recommend that you do it that way as it allows you to see what needs fixing before you spend a whole bunch of time finishing the inside. For example on my boat I was planning to quick fair everything inside and get a nice finish but after using the boat I will be using some foam on the seats so a nice finsh on the seat would have been a waste of time.

Rick: I am 26 and my wife is 27. You can't see it in the picture but she is 6 months pregnant with our first! By the way she really enjoyed sailing... we will have to get some gear for warmth and dryness as most of the good sailing in Alberta is going to occur at the same time as bad weather. Any one have recommedations :?:

Fishingdan: I never really sailed before I took my boat out but now having sailed I would have to agree with the following quote: "In a motor boat you are trying to get somewhere, in a sailboat you are already there" (not sure where I picked that up).
Last edited by richwink on Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Winkel
<><
CR 13

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

richwink wrote:Hi
Rick: I am 26 and my wife is 27. You can't see it in the picture but see is 6 months pregnant with our first! By the way she really enjoyed it... we will have to get some gear for warmth and dryness as most of the good sailing in Alberta is going to occur at the same time as bad weather. Any one have recommedations :?:
There are lots of choices for weather gear. My wife kayaks alot and wears a wet suit with booties. Keeps her nice and toasty. From what I have seen you can get wet and stay happy as long as you stay warm.