VG20 Centerboard Pivot Material

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Hoaglund
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Hoaglund »

What is the latest recomendation for the material used for the VG20´s centerboard pivot. My plans indicate that Teflon should be used, but that material is very expensive.<BR><BR>I built mine using a form of Polyethelene called UHMW (ultra high molecular weight). Unfortunately, this type of plastic doesn´t seem to hold tension when wedged into the pivot tube with the cross-cut/center screw. I think the material slowly cold-flows or "creeps". <BR><BR>I´ve retensioned the pin a couple of times, but I´ve noticed that it has turned in the bore and shifted a bit right or left after a sail.<BR><BR>I think Justin Pipkorn used another form of Polyethelene called HDPE (High Density Polyethelene). Is that a better material to use?<BR><BR>My existing pin seems to be working well otherwise. Are there any other ways you might suggest that I lock my pivot pin in place?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Hoaglund
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Hoaglund »

Hi Jacques,<BR><BR>It took me a while to find it, but I found a reference from you last November on the old forum.<BR><BR>Jacques Wrote:<BR>"On the plans, we show Delrin parts and the idea is that they should expand in their holes, they are not supposed to move. "<BR><BR>Is Delrin the correct material to use? It is a lot cheaper than Teflon.<BR><BR>JH

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Sorry, I lost track of that message,<BR>Yes, Delrin is the best choice.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com