C21 Questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
CET
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

C21 Questions

Post by CET »

I am new to the forum and wanted to say hello to everyone. I’m also new to boatbuilding, though I have been studying it almost obsessively for several months. I’m ready to begin my first project and I recently purchased plans for the C21 (great plans, by the way!) I’m excited to get started building it but before I do, I have some questions I’m hoping the experienced folks here can help me with.

Firstly, I have toyed with the idea of extending the C21 by 10% to 23’. I searched the archives and found a couple of references by others, and someone wrote that it is okay to extend the hull by 10%, but no more. Has anyone built the C21 as a 23 footer? If so, I would love to talk with them and pick their brains for ideas. I’m guessing that the best way to do this is to re-space all the stations by 10%, rather than just extending the stern by adding another station there without re-spacing the other stations. Cab anyone confirm that? Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can anyone tell me what the degree of flare of the side panels at the stern is? If it is in the plans and I missed it I apologize.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. This Web site and forum are fantastic resources for us uninitiated amateurs. Thanks for making it available!

Charlie

UncleRalph
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by UncleRalph »

I personally would not recommend that someone new to boat building try changing a design like this. My answer to the question in this thread explains why. http://gallery.bateau2.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Ralph

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Ralph is right, Ralph is right, Ralph is right :D

Copro
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Copro »

The C21 is already a really big boat!!

Ok so it's the P21 not the C21, but basically the same hull, and by the way my wife is 5'10".

Jody

CET
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CET »

Thanks for the responses guys.

Ralph - I read your response in the link you provided. It's great information and great advice. Thank you.

Copro - thanks for the pic. That IS a big boat! Seeing the picture, in addition to the information Ralph provided, convinced me that the 21' is plenty and I'm not going to mess with stretching it any longer.

Thanks again.

CET
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CET »

PS - Jody, do you by chance have any pictures of your hull from the side? If so, and if you don't mind, I would love to see them. Thanks!

Charlie

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

Now that you've already given up, if you wanted a 23-foot C-21, it would probably be easier to ask Jacques what it would take to build the Novi 23 without the the pilot house. The hulls are slightly different in shape, but they would both be seaworthy.

Are you tackling a small boat first? An FL12 or pirogue would be a good $200 test of materials, methods and skills. Then you'd have two boats, too.

Copro
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Copro »

Here is a link to my gallery.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... 252&page=2

Also try Stefan's site for a real C21 (ie not P21) in progress

http://www.banezville.com/c21.php

Jody

ejohns
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by ejohns »

Try this link

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage.php?pos=-4564

I hope this helps.

Ejohns

CET
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CET »

Thanks again to everyone for the replies and links. The construction photos are very helpful (and motivating).

Rick - I may build a drift boat (stitch and glue) before the C21 to get a little experience, although I'm pretty anxious to get started on the C21. :D

Charlie