spheretex core material

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
roob76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

spheretex core material

Post by roob76 »

anyone have experience with this material or consider using it? specifically the sphere.core SBC? seems like a good alternative to foam core. :doh:

DRW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DRW »

The fact that you would need to build in/on a solid mold would increase the complexity of the build (unlike the foam core method using a strip form). The fact that the resin forms part of the core material would substantially increase the cost of the construction.
DRW

SH14 in progress.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

There are a lot of core materials sold, only a few are suitable for one off boat building. We attend the IBEX every year to look for new materials. Foam core and Nida-core honey comb can be used in some places in any of our boats. DO a search and you can fins out the +/- of each.

There a severl brands of the 3D "web core" material you are talking about, but it use in infussion - which is well out of the realm of what an amature can do.

Joel

roob76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by roob76 »

thanks for the replies!

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

Shine wrote: There a severl brands of the 3D "web core" material you are talking about, but it use in infussion - which is well out of the realm of what an amature can do.
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/arti ... r_f39.html 8)

Tony
(couldn't resist)
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

roob76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by roob76 »

There a severl brands of the 3D "web core" material you are talking about, but it use in infussion - which is well out of the realm of what an amature can do
i spoke with a salesperson today.the spheretex sbc is actually made for hand layup. sbc "ip" is made for infusion.

what i was thinking of doing is building a very cheap mold out of cheap thin ply and laying the sbc over it. i ordered a sample to do some experimenting with.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Yes, you can make a female mold. Its a lot of work to make fair.

If you want a no-wood boat, you can always do what several builders (myself included) have done and build it out of foam core using the same stitch and glue building meathod. Its a lot more work than plywood, but if your willing to build a female mold, then you up for this.

Boomer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boomer »

Hate to be the resident pedantic, but if you follow the procedure outlined by roob:
what i was thinking of doing is building a very cheap mold out of cheap thin ply and laying the sbc over it.
I believe that you are making a male mold.

nel.edgar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: spheretex core material

Post by nel.edgar »

so.... i searched in the syte of spheretex and they have there a lot of information and also a exemple of use in transoms that u can download... :roll:

as anyone used it as a alternative to wood in transms??

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: spheretex core material

Post by jacquesmm »

Other materials in that type exist. I tried some but most, despite what they say, soak up a lot of resin and the resulting laminate does not hold up to the properties of foam sandwich. I stay with quality foam sandwich.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com