OB15 showing its age. Refit time?

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

OB15 showing its age. Refit time?

Post by AdamG »

My OB15 is coming up on 12 years old, and the top coat and other bits here and there are starting to show their age. I see a few places with some checking starting to emerge, a few hairline stress cracks here and there, and the S3 paint is starting to show some signs of aging. Overall, the boat has held up very well. It is entirely 1088 Meranti with I think a bit of 6566 maybe, and some solid wood battens here and there. The resin was mostly S3, with some West Marine, and a bit of US composites over time.

I am curious how you can tell when it is really time to pull the motor and all the hardware off and fire up the orbital sander? And is that the best approach to fix things right? I'd just sand down the topcoat and repaint, but the little bit of checking I see here and there has me concerned that perhaps I need to sand away to remove pretty much all the paint and primer, and add a topcoat or two of epoxy to combat the checking, and then re-prime and paint everything. Is that overkill?
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

OrangeQuest

Re: OB15 showing its age. Refit time?

Post by OrangeQuest »

AdamG wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:53 pm My OB15 is coming up on 12 years old, and the top coat and other bits here and there are starting to show their age. I see a few places with some checking starting to emerge, a few hairline stress cracks here and there, and the S3 paint is starting to show some signs of aging. Overall, the boat has held up very well. It is entirely 1088 Meranti with I think a bit of 6566 maybe, and some solid wood battens here and there. The resin was mostly S3, with some West Marine, and a bit of US composites over time.

I am curious how you can tell when it is really time to pull the motor and all the hardware off and fire up the orbital sander? And is that the best approach to fix things right? I'd just sand down the topcoat and repaint, but the little bit of checking I see here and there has me concerned that perhaps I need to sand away to remove pretty much all the paint and primer, and add a topcoat or two of epoxy to combat the checking, and then re-prime and paint everything. Is that overkill?
Would you feel comfortable with just a sand and repaint? Is the checking stopped?

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I'm assuming the checking is on areas that just got coated in epoxy with no glass. Either way it needs to be ground all the way down and redone. If it's checking then moisture is getting in. Sounds like it's definitely time for a make over.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Adam, time for a new build!
Build a new boat, keep the OB15, just sand, fill and paint.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

AdamG, take your time and really think through your decision!! A makeover will be time consuming and come at some expense but a new build will cost much more and take even more time!! If your OB15 still fits your needs, why not a make over??? Just my thoughts!! Jeff

AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AdamG »

I think this fall or winter I will have to break down and do it. It's not really THAT much hardware. IF I leave the wiring and cables in the chases and label everything correctly, the only hard part will be hours of unscrewing screws for all the hardware and getting the outboard off. Then it's a good time with the orbital, and an opportunity to fix a few "bugs".
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Adam, you built your OB right before I built mine. I remember checking yours out and being inspired to build mine. When you say checking what exactly is going on? Is the filler cracking below or it the paint dried out? 12 years is a long time for boat paint to last! I would sand with 220 and see if you get it back to fair and well adhered. Can’t imagine the primer is failing. Post a pic! Impressed you still have it.

AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AdamG »

It's not so bad as that. Just showing its age. If you look at the surface you see what I would call age cracking just barely starting. Only in a few places near hardware or where there was wear and tear is there a bit of checking. I could probably get away with spot repairs on that, and touching up the primer and fixing a few particular things that need addressing, then repainting. What is a good paint these days, anyhow. I'm don't have a big budget, but I will spend a bit for good value and results.
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Seems like 12 years is a good run on a home paint job! My boat is a 2012 and it has age cracking nearly everywhere. And its a big boat with lots of hardware. I've already re-painted the entire roof.

Sounds like you're fairly happy with the System 3 - I wasn't planning to put that back on based on how it has aged on my boat. Maybe it was in the prep & application?

AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AdamG »

Could be. I was very meticulous in my paint application. I may end up using it again because of my experience using it, its relative ease of use, and fairly affordable price. I'd like to use the best, but the sticker shock is difficult to overcome on some of the prices I am seeing.

I did roll and tip last time with the S3, but now I have a good compressor and plenty of open space where I could spray apply it, but I wonder if it would really yield a better result.
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006